When it comes to brunch time comfort foods, it doesn't get much more cozy or Fall-appropriate than cinnamon rolls, except when pumpkin purée and pumpkin spice are involved.
This recipe takes many pages out of the classic's book — the rolled shape, cream cheese icing, and pillowy yeasty dough — but gives it a spin any pumpkin spice lover will be unable to resist.
Their relatively short rise and bake times make these a reasonable special-occasion treat, one that you'll want to make at least once this season.
To save some time, add the powdered sugar to a small mixing bowl and whisk until smooth instead of sifting it.
- For the dough:
4 1/4 to 4 3/4 cups (21 1/4 to 23 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (2 1/3 ounces) granulated sugar
2 packets Fleischmann’s RapidRise yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
- For the filling:
1/3 cup (2 2/3 ounces) brown sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- For the frosting:
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp kosher salt to frosting powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups (11 1/4 ounces) powdered sugar, sifted
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Add 2 cups flour, sugar, dry yeast, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until blended.
- Add water, pumpkin, and butter to a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Microwave on high in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch (120-130°F); the butter won’t melt completely.
- Add liquid ingredients and the egg to the flour mixture; beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in just enough remaining flour so that the dough will form into a ball.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and the dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover with a towel; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: combine brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into a 15-by-12-inch rectangle using a rolling pin. Spread the butter evenly over the dough stopping at least 1/2-inch from the edges. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Beginning at long end of each rectangle, roll up tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Arrange, cut sides down, in a greased 13-by-9 inch baking pan. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheated the oven to 350°F while the dough rises. Once risen, bake the rolls for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack for at least 20 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, butter, salt, and vanilla to a large bowl and beat until smooth. Add the powdered sugar in 3 additions as well as just enough milk to make the frosting creamy. Spread over the rolls.
- North American
- 12 rolls
- Total Time
- 2 hours, 14 minutes, 59 seconds