It's not until I tried a four-ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe that I could believe such a feat is possible. When Philia Kelnhofer's Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes ($12) (published by The Countryman Press) came out, I turned straight toward the dessert section to see if I could find another quick cookie recipe. A buttery cookie with crunchy sugar crystals? It sounds too good to be true, but this time, I know it's not!
Sweet sugar cookies with a slight crunch on the outside and soft center that just melt in your mouth—is there anything better? These simple sugar cookies are an age-old recipe that has been passed down to me. This is one of the easiest and most universally loved recipes.
*These can be made with different colored sanding sugars, or natural sanding sugar.
- 1 cup (2 sticks; 8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sanding sugar*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using a hand (or stand) mixer, cream the butter until fluffy, about 1 minute, then scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat until combined, then scrape down the sides of the bowl. Pour in the cornstarch and flour and, with a spatula or spoon, gently stir until everything is combined (it might seem like the dough is a little too crumbly; it should be soft to the touch).
- Place the sanding sugar in a shallow bowl.
- With a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop a dough ball into the sanding sugar. Gently roll the dough ball so that it gets totally covered in sugar, then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat to form all the cookies, placing them about an inch apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes and remove from the oven. Allow to cool on the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool and enjoy.
Excerpted from Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes by Philia Kelnhofer. Copyright © 2016. Used with permission of the publisher, Countryman Press. All rights reserved.
- Desserts, Cookies
- North American
- 24 cookies