This vegan chocolate bread pudding recipe, straight out of Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson, ought to be on your chilly-weather survival list. Though it doesn't contain any eggs or cream, the almond milk-chocolate chip combo absorbs into crusty white bread in such a way as to create the most luscious (and hands-off!) vegan dessert out there. I added vegan marshmallows to the top of the bread pudding instead of nuts, but I would recommend waiting to add the mallows in the last 15 to 30 minutes of cook time; otherwise they will melt into the pudding. As for leftovers, the bread pudding is excellent cold, though I've also been carefully reheating this rich dessert in the microwave and topping it with raspberries. This dessert is so warming and comforting — it's the next best thing to a lit fireplace.
This chocolaty dessert gives you that "warm and fudgy" feeling inside. I highly recommend serving this bread pudding warm with vegan vanilla ice cream. For gluten-free, use gluten-free bread. For soy-free, use a soy-free vegan butter.
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, plus more for greasing
2 cups unsweetened almond milk, divided
2 cups vegan semisweet chocolate chips, divided
4 cups white bread cubes
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
3/4 cup granulated natural sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lightly oil the insert of the slow cooker with vegan butter or spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Heat 1 1/2 cups of the almond milk in a saucepan until it is just ready to boil. Take the pan off the heat and stir in 1 2/3 cups of the chocolate chips. Stir until the chips are melted, then set aside.
- Spread the bread cubes in the prepared slow cooker. Sprinkle with the nuts, if using, and the remaining 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 cup almond milk in another saucepan. Add the sugar, cocoa, salt, and vanilla, stirring to dissolve, about 2 minutes. Combine the cocoa mixture with the chocolate chip mixture, then pour it all over the bread in the slow cooker. Press the bread cubes down so that they are submerged in the chocolate mixture. Dot the top of the bread pudding with bits of the vegan butter. Cover and cook on low until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the lid, turn off the cooker, and let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Desserts, Chocolate
- North American
- Serves 6
- Total Time
- 2 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds