Gluten-Free Vegan Apple-Pie Dumpling Recipe With Photos
Apple-Pie Dumplings Are a Simple, Gluten-Free Alternative to a Classic
Apple pies are tasty, sure, but they can be pretty time-consuming to whip up. If you don't have all day to spend in the kitchen or a bunch or people to serve, but you're still in the mood for the warm, inviting flavor of a homemade apple pie, TikTok creator @chefsummerstorm has come up with the best solution: apple-pie dumplings.
Instead of having to bake and fill a whole pie crust, these accidentally gluten-free treats are wrapped up in rice paper and fried on the stove. You won't need to preheat the oven or knead any dough; the only heavy lifting you'll have to do in this recipe is rolling up apple-pie filling in a sheet of rice paper. Once fried up, they taste great with a vegan cream cheese dip, as per @chefsummerstorm's recommendation. This recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves apple pie.
TikTok user @chefsummerstorm
- For the Apple-Pie Dumplings
2 cups red apples
2 tbsps. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. cornstarch
14 rice paper wrappers
1 tbsp. coconut oil, for cooking
- For the Cinnamon-Sugar Coating
3 tbsps. cane sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- For the Cream Cheese Dip
3 tbsps. vegan cream cheese, softened
2 tbsps. vegan butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp. cashew milk, plain
- To make the pie filling, peel and slice apples, then mix with brown sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch.
- Place a single sheet of rice paper on a plate and run it under hot water for no longer than five seconds — otherwise it'll be too soft to handle.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of apple-pie filling onto the rice paper, then roll it up like you would a burrito. Repeat until the apple-pie filling is finished.
- Drizzle coconut oil in a pan over medium heat, then add the dumplings. Make sure not to crowd the pan, as the dumplings can stick together.
- Cook the dumplings for about four minutes, then flip them. Cook four about four more minutes.
- Coat each dumpling in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- While the dumplings cool, prepare the cream cheese dip by stirring together cream cheese with butter, powdered sugar, and milk.
- Serve the dumplings with the dip, and enjoy!
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- 7 apple-pie dumplings