This is the perfect combination of Fall ingredients to stuff into a Kong (or any other stuffable toy). It's especially perfect for Halloween, when your pup will want to find a quiet place to enjoy his own treats — instead of greeting all the masked, candy-crazed trick-or-treaters.
It can be served warm and fresh or frozen for later (which is especially perfect for teething puppies). The recipe makes enough mixture to stuff several Kongs and can be kept in an airtight container for up to three days if you don't use it right away.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 rasher bacon, snipped into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup butternut squash, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 tablespoons almond flour
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup chicken broth
- Warm a large pan over medium-high heat, and add the olive oil.
- Once hot, add the bacon pieces and cubes of squash.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes and then stir in the almond flour and thyme.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 to 12 minutes until the squash cubes are tender and the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Cool slightly before stuffing into Kongs.
- Pet Treats
- North American
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds