Valentine's Day is, of course, about the love, and the best way to show your pet you love them is to keep them safe. Shower your pup with appropriate gifts this weekend, but be sure to keep him and any other animals away from these five things, recommended by Trupanion vet Dr. Denise Petryk.
- Chocolate: Keep chocolate treats away from pets. Different chocolates vary in toxicity levels, but the fact of the matter is that chocolate is dangerous. Ingestion could lead to heart damage and central nervous system damage.
- Ribbon: I know firsthand what can happen when your pet swallows string or ribbon. Remember to clean up any wrapping supplies once gifts are wrapped and again after they are opened.
- Alcohol: Never share alcohol with pets. Even a small amount of alcohol is poisonous. Make sure all bottles, cans, and glasses are kept out of pets' reach.
- Flowers: While a lovely decoration, some flowers are toxic to animals. Lilies are particularly toxic to cats if ingested, and tulips can cause stomach irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea. Keep all flowers where your pets can't reach.
- Candles: Never leave candles unattended. Candles can easily be knocked over, causing not only harm to your pet if he is nearby, but harm to the entire house. Keep a close eye on open flames and never leave them unattended.