Harry Potter fanatics know that there is a world of difference between the magical books and their respective film adaptations. While the Potter movies are nostalgic and possess a special charm of their own, there is a huge amount of detail that doesn't translate from the page to the screen. If you're curious about the biggest differences between the books and films, you don't have to reread the entire series — though, let's be honest, you totally should — simply watch this video that details the top 10 disparities.
We've outlined the main points below, but trust us; you'll want to watch the video for a full explanation of why each deviance from the canon text is significant.
The Top 10 Differences:
- The maze Sphinx in the final task of the Triwizard Tournament
- The explanation of the differences between an animagi and werewolves
- Peter Pettigrew's death
- Harry's choices with the Elder Wand
- The important role of house elves in wizarding society
- Hermione and Harry's separate reactions to Ron abandoning their Horcrux search
- Voldemort's death
- Peeves, Ludo Bagman, Teddy Lupin, and Charlie Weasley
- St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries
- Tom Riddle's origin story
Now if somebody ever asks why the Harry Potter books are better than the movies, you've got a list ready for 'em. But feel free to bring up your own points, too — because it's a damn tragedy that Nearly Headless Nick's deathday party didn't make it into the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets film.