You Don't Need to Be Verified on Instagram to Access the Swipe-Up Feature — Here's the Hack
While Instagram has a ton of great features, some marketing tools, like the swipe-up feature, are only available to accounts that are verified or have at least 10,000 followers — until recently that is. The swipe-up feature allows Instagram users to upload web links to their stories, which redirects followers to different sites such as articles, YouTube videos, shopping websites, and more. It's a great way to drive traffic and engagement while also promoting a brand or cause, and it also gets rid of the awkward "link in bio" plea and the additional steps followers have to take to access a link. But is there a way to access this feature even if you don't have a verified account or 10,000 followers? Yes!
Now more than ever, the swipe-up feature is being utilized for supporting small businesses and easily accessing donation pages and overall resources. If you're interested in adding a link to an Instagram story, open your Instagram app and follow the steps ahead. Note: in order to utilize either of these, your profile must be switched to a business account.
If Your Account Is Verified
- Open or download the Instagram app. Tap the camera icon in the upper left-hand corner. Create an Instagram story using either a photo, Boomerang, or video.
- Among your tool options (stickers, text, etc.) across the top portion of your screen will be a chain-link icon. Tap on this icon and you'll be prompted with two options; choose the option that asks for a web link. Insert your URL here.
- Include a call to action on your story. This could be text or a sticker asking your followers to swipe up!
If You Don't Have 10,000 Followers
- Create an IGTV video. In the video description, you can include a link. Also be sure to mention in your IGTV video that you're adding a link in the video description so those who do view your IGTV video know where to go for more information, to donate, or to purchase a product. Save and publish your IGTV video.
- Go back to your main feed page and tap the camera icon in the upper left-hand corner. Create an Instagram story using either a photo, Boomerang, or video.
- Among your tool options (stickers, text, etc.) across the top portion of your screen will be a chain-link icon. Tap on this icon and you'll be prompted with a "call to action" option. You'll see your previously recorded IGTV videos listed. Select any video that correlates with your story.
- Include a call to action on your story. This could be text or a sticker asking your followers to swipe up. Be sure to also mention on your story that the link can be found within your IGTV description.