Before throwing out your jack-o'-lantern's guts, use the pumpkin seeds to make a healthy snack. High in plant sterols and phytochemicals, pumpkin seeds aid in lowering cholesterol and also promote good prostate health. On top of that, they're also a good source of protein and fiber, making them a great snack if you're trying to lose weight.
While a basic recipe is a nice treat, get creative by adding metabolism-boosting spices to your recipe. While cinnamon and a little brown sugar make for a tasty treat, throw in a pinch of cayenne for a creative twist and extra heat!
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds that have been rinsed and dried
1/2 tablespoon olive oil or melted coconut oil
2 teaspoons spice mixture
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, toss pumpkin seeds with oil, salt, and seasoning.
- Spread pumpkin seeds evenly onto a baking sheet in 1 layer.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the seeds are crisp, shaking the pan every few minutes while roasting.
- Remove from the oven and, if desired, add more spices.
- Snacks, Nuts
- 2 cups
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.