A Timeline of Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez's Relationship
Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez's love story has come to an end. On July 17, TMZ and People both reported that the couple separated earlier this year after two years of marriage. Two months later, the pair filed for divorce, per court documents obtained by POPSUGAR.
Grande was first linked to Gomez at the beginning of 2020, and they got engaged after less than a year together later that December. The singer and real estate agent then got married on May 17, 2021, in front of less than 20 guests in an intimate ceremony at their home in Montecito, CA.
Throughout their relationship, the couple kept their romance relatively quiet compared to Grande's previous high-profile romances with the likes of Pete Davidson and Mac Miller, so fans are understandably surprised by the most recent development in their relationship — especially after it was reported that Grande has begun a new romance with her "Wicked" costar Ethan Slater amid his reported divorce from wife Lilly Jay.
Ahead, find a recap of Grande and Gomez's biggest relationship milestones, including what we know about their divorce.
Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez's Relationship Timeline
- February 2020: Following Grande's rumored romance with Social House's Mikey Foster, the singer was spotted locking lips with a guy at Bar Louie in Northridge, CA. A month later, TMZ confirmed the "mystery guy" was Gomez.
- May 2020: A few months into their relationship, Grande and Gomez went public with their romance by dancing and hugging in the singer's "Stuck With U" music video with Justin Bieber.
- August 2020: In honor of Gomez's birthday, Grande shared a series of cute (now-deleted) photos and videos on her Instagram. "hbd to my baby my best friend my fav part of all the days :)" she wrote. "i love u."
- December 2020: Grande announced her engagement to Gomez with a gallery of her stunning engagement ring and cuddly photos of them together. "Forever n then some," she captioned it.
- April 2021: Alongside a series of sweet, now-deleted photos of the pair, Grande gushed about her other half on Instagram, writing, !!! my heart my person !!! thank u so much for being u."
- May 2021: Grande and Gomez secretly tied the knot in a small ceremony at their home in Montecito, CA. "It was tiny and intimate — less than 20 people," the singer's rep confirmed to People. "The room was so happy and full of love. The couple and both families couldn't be happier."
- November 2021: Grande shared a photo gallery (that's now been deleted) on Instagram that featured a snap of her sitting and holding her dog next to a smiling Gomez to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday. "nothing was ever as loud … sending you all so much love i hope you feel it from here writing," she captioned the post.
- September 2022: Gomez was spotted accompanying Grande to the set of her highly anticipated new film "Wicked."
- November 2022: After the Thanksgiving holiday, Gomez shared yet another gallery featuring a couple of cozy snaps with Gomez. While the post was caption-less, it gave a rare glimpse into the quiet couple's day-to-day life together.
- July 2023: On July 17, TMZ reported Grande and Gomez had separated months prior after two years of marriage, with a source claiming that they "tried a reconciliation" but failed. People confirmed the news, with a source revealing to the publication that the pair were "quietly and lovingly working on their friendship." TMZ reported later that day that the couple had been separated since January, though they tried again in May before ultimately deciding to call it quits. TMZ also reported that Gomez had been dating for a few months, which Grande was fine with. Then, on July 20, TMZ broke the news of Grande and Slater seeing each other before People followed up a week later with a source saying the two are now "full-on dating." Reps for Grande did not respond to POPSUGAR's request for comment on her reported split from Gomez and their separation timeline. Reps for Gomez could not be reached.
- September 2023: According to court documents obtained by POPSUGAR, Grande filed for divorce from Gomez on Monday, Sept. 18, citing "irreconcilable differences" as the reason for the split. Gomez also filed for divorce the same day. Their date of separation is listed as Feb. 20, 2023.