Your Go-To Guide For Prom Dress Shopping With Your Daughter
April may mean wedding season for adults, but for the teen crowd, this month marks the beginning of prom season. While TV shows depict this as a joyous occasion, it can cause some serious stress — especially when it's time to find the perfect dress. Sure, searching through a sea of sequins and tulle starts off as a fun mother-daughter bonding activity. But by the 10th "not-quite-right" gown, you and your daughter are butting heads. To keep the fights to a minimum and to help your daughter find her perfect dress, we have a few tips for finding something that works with her shape. We've even included a few suggestions that may make the process even easier.
- Pear: Girls with this body type will want a dress that has a fitted top and fuller bottom. This means staying away from any mermaid-style gowns. See our favorite dresses for pear shapes here.
- Apple: Apple-shaped girls tend to be self-conscious about their midsection. To keep the attention away from that area, look for a gown that has a high empire waist. Check out our top dresses for apple shapes here.
- Petite: Your girl may want a long gown, but all the fabric will make her appear shorter. Though it's not as traditional, suggest going for an above-the-knee dress. Take a look at our picks for petite dresses here.
- Tall: Obviously, a full-length frock will look great on girls of a certain height. Since they have such a long frame, they should use it to showcase patterned dress that others can't pull off. Check out our favorite dresses for tall girls here.
- Slim: For slender girls, dresses tend to hang on their bodies like a sack. To keep this from happening and to give your girl some curves, look for gowns with a cinched waist or even a fashion-forward belt. See our favorite slim-fitting dresses here.
- Hourglass: Thanks to their naturally proportional bodies, girls with an hourglass shape can wear virtually any style of dress. As long as it works with her personal style, she'll be the belle of the ball. Take a look at our favorite hourglass-flattering gowns here.
Scroll down to see our dress suggestions for every body shape!