When it comes to baby names, royals tend to stick to more traditional names, often inspired by family members both alive and passed. And though we know that the third child of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Will and Kate, will be formally addressed as His/Her Royal Highness Prince/Princess [Name] of Cambridge, we'll have to wait a little longer to fill in that "name" section.
The people at MyHeritage.com dived deep into both Will and Kate's families to find the most likely name predictions for baby number three — whether it's a boy or a girl — and we're here for their guesses. Check them out and cast your vote below.
Boy Name Possibilities
- John. Last held by Kate's great-great-grandfather John William Middleton, the name John has been given multiple times — and for multiple generations in a row — on Kate's side. William's ninth great-grandfather was also named John.
- Thomas. The name was last given to Kate's ninth great-grandfather, making for a historical choice that hasn't been seen in a while but still honors a member of the family.
- Charles. William's father's name seems like a likely choice should the couple decide to honor a living family member.
- Michael. Kate's father's name would also honor a living family member and is a name that hasn't appeared in either of the couple's family histories often.
Girl Name Possibilities
- Mary. The name was last given to Kate's ninth great-grandmother Mary Proud and would make for a historical choice that hasn't been seen in a while but still honors a member of her family.
- Elizabeth. Aside from the fact that the name belongs to the baby's great-grandmother Queen Elizabeth II, the moniker has appeared on the duchess's side of the family numerous times over the last 11 generations.
- Diana. Should the couple choose to honor Will's side of the family, his late mother's name, Diana, would hold much meaning.
- Carole. Kate's mother's name seems like a likely choice should the couple decide to honor a living family member.