Lighten up your standard mashed potato side with this Paleo-friendly twist on tradition: creamy mashed cauliflower. Since the cauliflower has a much quicker cook time than potatoes, this whole recipe comes together in 20 minutes! This decadent-tasting dish has that texture you're craving, reminiscent of the classic, while the baked-potato toppings like scallions and diced bacon make the dish even more delicious.
This high-fiber, low-carb side dish serves a home on your Thanksgiving table.
This dish easily reheats, so feel free to cook a day in advance. I used 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper for flavor.
- 2 large heads cauliflower, cut into florets
1 slice free-range bacon, diced
1 1/2 tablespoons ghee, brought to room temperature, or grass-fed butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 scallion, sliced thin
- Place large pot or skillet with a fitted cover on your stove top, add 1 to 2 inches of water (depending on the size of your pot), and set to medium-high heat. Place the cauliflower florets into a steamer basket, and lower into pot, making sure the water isn't covering the vegetables. Cover and cook until very tender (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, cook diced bacon on medium-high heat until crispy. Set aside on paper towels.
- Once the cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork, remove hot florets from steamer, and place in a food processor.
- Add ghee or butter to the food processor, and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove it from the food processor and place in a serving dish.
- Sprinkle diced bacon and scallions on top, and enjoy hot.
- Side Dishes
- North American
- Serves 4
- Total Time
- 19 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving