Love fruit smoothies, but want a little more protein? We've got a trick for you. Kick your smoothie up a notch with cottage cheese. What?! Yes. Cottage cheese. It's the perfect creamy smoothie base; it's low-sugar and high in protein, and turns up the volume on your fruit smoothie — without any protein powder.
Mango lassi hits the sweet spot of being both refreshing and indulgent, and is made from simple, whole ingredients. By subbing cottage cheese for yogurt, you'll have a protein-dense shake, with all the natural sweetness and flavor from mangoes.
When you pour this blend into a glass, you'll notice a velvety, thick, almost pudding-like consistency. It is beyond decadent, but each serving is under 200 calories, with only three grams of fat. While the texture is silky smooth and rich, the smoothie is still light and refreshing, making it a perfect Spring or Summer drink. The best part? Superstar cottage cheese brings 15 grams of protein in one small glass.
This recipe calls for frozen mangoes, to add a bit of frosty freshness. If you'd rather sub in fresh mango, go for it! Just make sure your fruit is chilled to keep your drink cold and refreshing. Honey is optional, as the mangoes are already so sweet to begin with, but as it's part of the traditional lassi recipe, it made the ingredient list.
The last note about the recipe is in regards to the milk, which is used to thin the mix a bit so it's not too thick. You can use soy milk, which has a great amount of protein, or substitute with another milk depending on your dietary needs and preferences.
- 1 cup frozen organic, cubed mango
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon organic honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon raw chia seeds
- For garnish:
- 1 teaspoon raw chia seeds
- Blend cottage cheese, soy milk, and honey until the mixture becomes a light, smooth, whipped liquid.
- Add frozen mango; blend on high until smooth. If the smoothie is too thick, add more milk as needed.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add in chia seeds. Pulse until stirred thoroughly. Top with a sprinkle of chia seeds. Enjoy immediately!
Source: Calorie Counter
- Drinks, Smoothies
- North American
- 2 8-oz servings
- Total Time
- 5 minutes
- Calories per serving