I typically love eating meat, but recently, I've been craving more and more plant-based recipes. Maybe this Michael Pollan rule finally set in, or maybe it has something to do with the warm weather in San Francisco. Either way, once I saw Candice Kumai's edamame barley bowl from her upcoming cookbook, Clean Green Eats ($28), I knew I had found a Spring lunch that looked delicious and was in line with my diet these days.
This hearty bowl powers you up with clean, quality nutrition — hello, energized afternoon! It's also packed with 22 grams of vegan protein and 58 percent of your recommended fiber for the day; all that protein makes it an ideal meal to refuel your muscles after a tough midday workout, while the fiber supports healthy digestion. Even better, this recipe makes four servings, so lunch is a no-brainer for the following days. All I can say is thank you, Candice.
Candice explains that hulled barley needs to cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer than pearl barley. Adjust your cooking time based on the variety you choose.
- 4 cups pearl or hulled barley
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups shelled organic edamame
- 2 cups wild baby arugula
- 2 blocks savory, baked, organic tofu (firm or extra firm), cut into cubes
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Combine the barley and the water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, oregano, and lemon zest until well combined. Add the slightly cooled barley to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Add the shelled edamame and arugula and toss gently to combine. To serve, divide the barley salad among four bowls and top with tofu and avocado slices.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes, Tofu
- North American
- 4 servings
- Calories per serving