Once cooked, steel-cut oatmeal can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- 4 cups water
1 cup steel-cut oats
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Optional mix-ins:
Sweetener of your choice
Milk of your choice
- In a medium to large saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Stir in salt and steel cut oats, and let cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat, cover pot with lid, and leave it on the stove overnight.
- In the morning, turn the heat back on and bring the oatmeal up to a boil. Reduce heat, and let simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often. At this time, add any spices or sweeteners to your oatmeal like cinnamon, nutmeg, or maple syrup.
- Spoon the oatmeal into a bowl and top it off with fresh fruit, a little milk, or chopped nuts.
- North American
- 4 servings
- Calories per serving