Salads and brown-rice pasta aren't the only ways to enjoy a quick dinner when you're eating a vegan and gluten-free diet. If you need a tasty new idea, give this spin on the basic burrito a whirl. Instead of wrapping beans and veggies in a flour tortilla, use polenta (look for it in firm tubes at health-food stores and most supermarkets). Since it's made with cornmeal and water, it's completely gluten-free.
This filling and flavorful meal is under 300 calories and takes less than 30 minutes to make; it also stores well in the fridge, so what you don't finish will make the perfect lunch for the next day.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tubes of polenta
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 box (26 ounces) Pomi chopped tomatoes
1 red pepper, diced
2 cups frozen corn
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour olive oil in a large pan and heat on medium.
- Remove both tubes of polenta from the plastic wrap and cut into half-inch-size slices. Place slices in the pan as if you were cooking pancakes.
- While the polenta is cooking, place the garlic, beans, tomatoes, red pepper, corn, and spices in a saucepan. Cook uncovered on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the bean mixture is cooking, check on the polenta. Once the bottoms are lightly browned, flip each piece to cook the other side.
- Place four pieces of polenta on each plate and top with one-sixth of the bean and veggie mixture.
Makes six servings. Here's the nutritional info for one serving:
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes, Beans
- North American
- 6 servings
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving