Quick, easy, and bursting with flavor, taco salad is the healthy dinner idea you've been looking for! Complete with fresh seasonal vegetables, rich meat that packs on the protein, and crisp tortillas that add a crunch to each forkful, every bite is better than the next. Whether you need something easy for a weeknight meal or you're looking to make a dinner that will keep you full and fortified, taco salads can be all that and more.
This recipe is inspired by flavorful produce that works together to create a crisp and refreshing component to the salad. Jalapeños, garlic, and cumin add big flavor to the ground beef, and the best part is, it takes just minutes for the whole thing to come together. The rest of the salad can (and should!) be customized to fit your taste, so add any additional veggies or protein that you think would pair well. Halved cherry tomatoes, black beans, green onions, and crumbled tortilla chips are always a nice touch, so make sure to include them in your recipe. We also highly recommend crumbled cotija cheese, since it brings a salty and rich tang to every bite.
For the finishing touch, a simple lime vinaigrette is what really ties everything together. It only involves a few ingredients, but the result is zesty and memorable. The whole taco salad is light yet satisfying and easy enough to whip up whenever you're craving a healthy meal to fill you up with all the flavors of the season. Enjoy!
— Additional reporting by Lauren Harano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 pound of ground beef
3/4 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 head of red leaf lettuce
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
3/4 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
3 radishes, thinly sliced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup tortilla chips, crumbled
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large lime, juiced
3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the jalapeños and garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add the ground beef, 3/4 teaspoon cumin, chili powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir to break up the ground beef and cook through, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Tear apart. Distribute to two large bowls. Evenly arrange the beans, cheese, radishes, green onions, tomatoes, and tortilla chips. Split the ground beef mixture between the two bowls.
- In another small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and minced cilantro. Add the lime juice and olive oil. Whisk together.
- Pour dressing evenly over salads and toss together.
- Salads, Main Dishes
- North American
- Serves 2.