Celebrity chef Mario Batali brought his signature dishes to the White House. The Obamas tapped the talk-show host of ABC's The Chew to cater their last state dinner with a gorgeous Italian menu perfectly fit for the first family and Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi. According to Eater, Mario's four-course meal included a mouthwatering sweet-potato-stuffed agnolotti (stuffed pasta), juicy beef braciola topped with horseradish gremolata, and a green apple crostata, among other sweet treats for dessert.
"If there's one thing that I'm not going to sleep well about tonight, it's only going to be the hot plates," Batali told CNN ahead of his big night in Washington DC. "I think I'll be shaking in my orange Crocs when it's about a half-hour before service." After seeing the dishes served at the big event on Oct. 18, we're convinced the kitchen pro had nothing to worry about. Keep reading to see the full state dinner menu, then check out some of the fun behind-the-scenes photos Mario shared from the White House on his Instagram page.
- Sweet Potato Agnolotti With Butter and Sage
- Patina Vermentino "Santa Ynez" 2015
- Warm Butternut Squash Salad With Frisee and Pecorino di New York
- Villa Ragazzi Sangiovese "Napa" 2012
- Beef Braciola Pinwheel With Horseradish Gremolata and Broccoli Rabe
- Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel "East Bench" 2014
(A vegetarian version of this dish will be available)
- Green Apple Crostata With Thyme Caramel and Buttermilk Gelato
Petit Fours Display
- Sweet Corn Cream and Blackberry Cup
- Concord Grape Bittersweet Chocolate Leaf
- Orange Fig Slice
- Pumpkin Cranberry Tart