Engineered by Keizo Shimamoto and sold at Brooklyn, NY's Smorgasburg, the Ramen Burger — a shoyu-glazed patty nestled between two eggy ramen buns — has inspired legions of fans to queue up in line for a taste. Inspired by this over-the-top delight, we've developed a home-kitchen-friendly version — try it out and see what all the hype is about!
To shape the ramen into a bun, use ramekins that are similar in size to the burger patty. If you don't have ramekins, substitute pint-size deli containers.
- 1 package ramen noodles
2 eggs, divided
2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/2 tablespoon sriracha
1 beef burger patty
1 slice American cheese
1 scallion, thinly sliced on the bias
1/2 cup arugula
- Cook the ramen according to the directions on the package (including the seasoning), then drain off the liquid. Let cool to room temperature. In a small mixing bowl, whisk 1 egg until no streaks of yolk remain. Add the ramen, tossing thoroughly to coat with the egg. Divide the egg-dressed ramen into two portions, and place each half into a ramekin.
- Cover the ramen with plastic wrap, and weigh it down with a can of soup to compress it into a bun shape. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the oil to a skillet, and set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, unmold the ramen buns into the pan, and cook until the bottom is a dark golden brown. Flip both of the patties, and cook until a dark golden brown on both sides.
- Whisk together the sriracha and ketchup in a small bowl.
- Season the hamburger patty with salt, pepper, a splash of soy sauce, and sesame oil. Wipe out the skillet, and cook the burger over medium-high heat until medium rare, or to your preferred degree of doneness. Finish with a splash of soy sauce and sesame oil. Top with a slice of cheese.
- Wipe out the skillet, and lower the heat to medium. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan, and fry 1 egg sunny side up.
- Assemble the burger in this order: ramen bun, arugula, ketchup, burger patty (cheese side up), fried egg, scallions, and the second ramen bun. Wrap in wax paper for easier eating, and serve hot.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- 1 burger