Oh, the simplicity of a dump cake. There's nothing quite as easy (or delicious!) as this style of dessert, which requires minimal (if any!) measuring, stirring, and dish-washing. And with so many variations on the recipe — from an autumnal pumpkin dump cake to a classic Oreo dump cake — there's a version suitable for basically every need.
Made by dumping boxed cake mix and fruit (or in this case, sweet potatoes) into a dish, dump cakes are quite possibly the easiest baking project you'll ever attempt, and no one has to know your secret to such a flavorful and moist cake. It makes sense that this after-dinner treat has gained so much popularity, especially on TikTok.
Just in time for chilly fall nights, we present to you a sweet potato dump cake recipe from TikTok that can be whipped up whenever the craving strikes. It's perfect for a treat after apple picking or as a simple Thanksgiving dessert that'll save you the stress of putting together a pie. This sweet potato dump cake recipe is a tad more complicated than other dump-cake recipes, since you'll need to boil and mash the sweet potatoes first. Still, you don't need to bust out your mixer — and the taste is sure to wow.
Check out the easy recipe ahead, and get ready enjoy the deliciousness of a sweet potato dump cake.
— Additional reporting by Lauren Mazzo
- 3 large sweet potatoes
1 1/2 sticks of butter
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 milk (or water from boiling potatoes)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 box of yellow, vanilla, or spice cake mix
- Peel, slice, and boil sweet potatoes until tender. Transfer them to a mixing bowl, and then mash until smooth.
- While the potatoes are hot, add 1/2 stick of unsalted butter. Stir until melted.
- Add the vanilla, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, sugar, milk, and a sprinkle of salt. Stir to combine.
- Spread the sweet potato filling into a pan. Sprinkle on the cake mix and spread it out to cover all of the sweet potatoes. Top with slices of butter.
- Bake at 350 until the top is golden brown. It should take about 45 minutes, but oven times may vary, so be sure to check on it. Let the cake cool for 15 to 20 minutes, and enjoy!
- 10-12 servings
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 4 minutes, 59 seconds