When It Comes to Sexy Halloween Costumes, Jennifer Lopez Is an Endless Source of Inspiration
Jennifer Lopez is known for her iconic outfits as much as her catchy music and memorable movies. Throughout the years, the Puerto Rican beauty has shown us unforgettable and outlandish looks that have inspired us all — she basically invented the naked-dress trend!
From her early days influenced by hip-hop to her provocative red carpet looks (Grammys Versace dress, anyone?), J Lo has always kept us at the edge of our seats waiting to see what she will wear next. So can you think of a better way to spend Halloween than embodying the superstar? We're breaking down 19 of her most famous looks that will have you waiting for tonight (OK, Halloween) to shake your booty as Jennifer.
— Additional reporting by Celia Fernandez
"Ni Tu Ni Yo" J Lo
Jennifer's 2017 Summer hit "Ni Tu Ni Yo" featured a ton of different outfit changes that could easily be replicated for Halloween. This yellow dress is our personal favorite.
- What to wear: To copy J Lo's sun goddess look, you need a yellow gown with a cape detail or long train. You could replicate her hair by getting a ribbon to match the color of the dress and styling your hair in a low bun. Finish the look with yellow bobble earrings.
- How to act: Walk into any space like you own it and be prepared to have all eyes on you.
"Ain't Your Mama" J Lo
Jennifer Lopez's hit single from last year, "Ain't Your Mama," easily became a Summer anthem with music video full of unforgettable outfits. The video spans various decades in history, showing the different ways women dressed for their occupations.
- What to wear: To replicate J Lo's 1950s housewife look, you'll want to wear a pastel A-line dress with a full skirt — preferably one in a gingham print. Accessorize with a pearl necklace or pearl earrings. Wear a short blonde wig to complete the look!
- How to act: J Lo has many duties as a housewife in the music video, like cooking dinner, scrubbing the floor, and ironing clothes. However, she always maintains a sophisticated and semi-sexy composure that evokes elegance but with a side of sass.
Shades of Blue J Lo
In the hit NBC show Shades of Blue, Jennifer plays the badass corrupt cop Harlee Santos. She's a totally dressed-down version of the J Lo we normally see flaunting her dancing skills on stage.
- What to wear: To get J Lo's style as Harlee, you can find items already in your closet. Find a beige jacket, a white tee, jeans, and white Converse shoes. Curl your hair and you are good to go.
- How to act: Harlee is a woman in charge who isn't afraid to pull a gun on anyone, so you need to act the same way. Show people you are not one to be messed with while still looking like the perfect girl next door.
Selena J Lo
Jennifer Lopez's breakthrough role in Selena launched her to superstardom. She rocked some of Selena's most iconic looks while playing la Reina del Tex-Mex, but nothing says Selena more than this jumpsuit.
- What to wear: Find a vintage sparkly jumpsuit with flared legs and a cutout to show off those abs. Bonus points if you choose to rock a MAC x Selena lipstick.
- How to act: In this scene, Jennifer reenacted Selena's last live performance, and she stole the spotlight on stage. You can do the same by dancing and twirling everywhere you go with some Tex-Mex flair.
"Waiting For Tonight" J Lo
The music video for Jennifer Lopez's dance anthem "Waiting For Tonight" was set in some sort of jungle club, complete with green strobe lighting and lush green trees. J Lo kept it simple in a body-con two-piece, which proved to be the most practical for swiveling her hips to the music.
- What to wear: Find a pair of tight, short shorts in dark brown or black. Pair with a fitted spaghetti-strap top, and don't be shy with the body glitter.
- How to act: Like you're ready to party! Head to the dance floor and show off your sexy dance moves.
Versace J Lo
Jennifer Lopez rang in the new century with a stunning look that we still remember 15 years later. The infamous Versace dress at the 2000 Grammys was the epitome of sexiness that year and for many more to come.
- What to wear: A tropical-print dress with a plunging neckline.
- How to act: Walk with a glowing smile and make sure you're oozing confidence. If you're wearing a dress with that much skin showing, you just have to rock it.
"Love Don't Cost a Thing" J Lo
J Lo taught us love isn't about material things in her music video for "Love Don't Cost a Thing," but she did so in bling from head to toe.
- What to wear: Pair a white spaghetti-strap top with boot-cut jeans and a long cardigan. Don't forget the accessories — layer a few long gold necklaces and wear a gold chain belt.
- How to act: Make sure you strut wherever you go. If you have to open a few doors, make sure you do it in the most dramatic way possible.
Hip-Hop J Lo
In true J Lo manner, the star pulled up to the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards red carpet in an all-white look with her then-boyfriend Diddy (then called Puff Daddy, we think). She wore a crop top from his line, Sean John, with a rhinestone-embellished logo that only reinforced her love for bling.
- What to wear: Gather a few of your white pieces like a crop top, skinny jeans, and a bandana. Add a silver belt and hoop earrings. Bonus points if you can get your boyfriend to dress up as Puff Daddy.
- How to act: Fresh and bubbly, but like you have tons of street cred. This might have been Jennifer's hip-hop era, but she was never too cool to show off her pearly whites.
Las Vegas J Lo
Jennifer Lopez kicked off 2016 with the opening of her Las Vegas residency at Planet Hollywood's Axis theater. Each night, J Lo gets on stage and performs some of her biggest hits wearing outfits that just ooze glitz and glam.
- What to wear: You can DIY your own version of J Lo's sparkly outfit by bedazzling a neutral bodysuit. The key is to choose one that is close to your skin tone to give an overall "naked" effect. Get creative with the placement of the jewels and don't hold back — the shinier, the better!
- How to act: J Lo has a powerful stage presence, so you'll want to emulate that while wearing this costume. Strut your stuff everywhere you go, and don't be afraid to throw in some dramatic hair flips.
Golden J Lo
The queen of early millennial glamour showed us how to rock a fur coat with a modern twist. This was the era of gold, so naturally J Lo had a shining tan to match her metallic heels.
- What to wear: Layer a shimmering dress under a fur coat (faux works too) with metallic heels and hoop earrings.
- How to act: You're worth a million bucks! You have to walk with grace and class, but make it known that you still know how to get down on a Saturday night.
"I'm Real" J Lo
J Lo expertly rocked a pink velour track suit like no one else could — and everyone was wearing one back then. Since the velour track suit is slowly but surely coming back in style, this might be the perfect year to choose this look as your costume.
- What to wear: Dust off your pink short track suit and wear it with white sneakers and hoop earrings (yes, again!). Slick your hair back into a very tight bun and embrace your baby hairs.
- How to act: Walk with a bit of an urban feel, and give a few booty shakes here and there.
Sexy Glam J Lo
In the early 2000s, Jennifer Lopez rocked a body chain like it was her life duty.
- What to wear: To replicate this sexy glam look, wear a cropped boho top with bishop sleeves and a lace-up pair of pants. Complete the look with a floppy hat, a body chain, and a pair of aviator sunglasses.
- How to act: Try to keep your sunglasses on the whole night to uphold your superstar image.
Boho J Lo
If there's one thing Jennifer Lopez enjoyed a few years ago, it was a stylish hat. She often wore them to red carpet events and performances paired with a sexy gown — maybe this sun-shielding accessory is the secret to her flawless skin!
- What to wear: You can do the same by pairing a strapless dress with a floppy wide-brimmed hat and accessorizing with killer heels and chandelier earrings.
- How to act: With a powerful look like this, you have to serve some pretty powerful poses. Stand strong, and make sure you're always picture ready.
"Jenny From the Block" J Lo
As her career continued to grow, J Lo reminded us of her humble roots in the music video for "Jenny From the Block." All that J Lo wanted us to know was that she was still the same girl, no matter how much money she had.
- What to wear: Keep this whole look neutral with khaki cargo pants, a nude sleeveless top, and a cream knit cap.
- How to act: Don't let anyone be fooled by your rocks. Act like you had a little, but now you have a lot, but you still know where you came from.
"Louboutins" J Lo
Jennifer Lopez performed her single "Louboutins" at the 2011 American Music Awards with a sexy boxing theme. The star showed some serious dance moves but took a slippery fall after jumping off the back of one of her dancers. However, J Lo quickly got back on her feet and knocked out the rest of the performance.
- What to wear: Find a pair of lace shorts and a lace bralette, but make the look a lot more edgy by pairing them with sneakers. Tape up your hands like a true boxer.
- How to act: You look gorgeous, but you're a true fighter, so look ready to kick some butt.
"On the Floor" J Lo
In this music video, Jennifer Lopez wore a metallic bodysuit so good she had to wear it again to perform the song at Wango Tango.
- What to wear: Nothing could be more perfect for Halloween than a metallic spiderweb bodysuit. If you can't find a similar piece, opt for a nude bodysuit and use metallic paint to create the design.
- How to act: In the spirit of "On the Floor," make sure you get down on the dance floor. Let loose, and don't be afraid to shake your hair in everyone's face.
"Booty" J Lo
Never one to be subtle, Jennifer Lopez reminded us of her sexy curves in this music video. J Lo and her bootylicious costar Iggy Azalea playfully showed off their best assets.
- What to wear: Put on a black, white, or two-toned bathing suit to pay homage to this sexy music video. Apply lots of gel to your hair to get that wet look.
- How to act: You have to live and breathe sexy and make sure to "shake that" on the dance floor.
Red-Hot J Lo
Every one of Jennifer Lopez's magazine covers is a reminder of her smoking body, but this Billboard photo has us saying, "Whoa, J Lo," too.
- What to wear: Keep it simple with a red leotard or bodysuit and red pumps. And a sexy rep lip to finish the look.
- How to act: Like you're on top of the world. Make everyone say "Whoa!" when you pass by.
Naked-Dress J Lo
Jennifer Lopez has commanded our attention in more than a few naked dresses. With a body like hers, she understandably wants to show it off.
- What to wear: A glittering gown that is transparent in all the right places.
- How to act: When posing for pictures, make sure you only do profile poses. This will accentuate your (ahem) backside.