16 Pictures That Prove Why the Apple Watch Has Already Sold Out
Preorders for the Apple Watch started today, and every model sold out in just six hours; shipping has even also delayed by several weeks. Even if you're not planning to buy, you'll want to know why it's selling like crazy. First up, it'll work with the iPhone, and there's a new Apple Watch app available in the App Store now to download with pop iOS 8.3. (The app is how you set up the watch and choose which notifications to receive.)
The Apple Watch comes in three collections: Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch, and Apple Watch Edition.
The Apple Watch Sport is made from aluminum and comes in either silver or space gray. It will cost $349 for the 38mm edition and $399 for the 42mm edition.
The Apple Watch version is made from stainless steel and comes in two different finishes — traditional and space black. The 38mm will cost $549 to $1,049, depending on your watch band selection. The 42mm edition will cost $599 to $1,099.
Apple Watch Edition is crafted from 18-karat solid yellow or rose gold and will cost $10,000 to $17,000. (Wowza!) Not surprisingly, there will be limited quantities available in select retail stores.
Here's what else you need to know:
- Comes with different faces that you can customize by design; can also choose what information displays (like weather, calendar events, etc.)
- Swipe up for Glances, which are summaries of the information you use most.
- Use the Now Playing Glance to control your music right from your wrist.
- Taptic Engine alerts you of notifications with a gentle tap.
- See who's calling and answer (and make calls) right from the watch using the built-in speaker and mic.
- Use Digital Touch to send a sketch, a tap, or even your heartbeat to other people wearing Apple Watch
- Get a snapshot of your all-day activity plus daily Move goals based on your previous week's activity. The watch will also encourage you to sit less and move more.
- Compatible with Apple Pay and Siri
- Connect to social media and receive notifications; you can scroll through and like images on Instagram right from your wrist.
- Lets you scan news headlines
- Can request a ride on Uber with Apple Watch and get a notification when your car is arriving
- Will pull your boarding pass from Passbook when you're near the airport
- The SPG app lets you check into your hotel and unlock your room
- Has all-day battery life — up to 18 hours
See more photos and get an up-close and personal look with our video taken at Apple's special event last year.