This recipe for banana-carob protein bars from FitSugar reader eatingbirdfood will help keep energy levels up and your grocery bill down. She posted this homemade protein bar recipe in the FitSugar Community Healthy Recipe group.
I was looking for a protein bar that I could take with me on trips and decided to create my own. These bars are great because they are portable and delicious. They can be a snack or even a protein-packed dessert.
Learn how to make these homemade protein bars after the break!
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup oat flour
1/3 cup protein powder (I used vanilla brown rice protein powder)
1 T chia seeds (optional)
1 t cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
3 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 T smooth natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
1/2 T honey
5 drops of liquid stevia (or 1 T more of honey)
1 t vanilla
1/4 cup carob chips (or chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl combine all dry ingredients: oats, oat flour, protein powder, chia seeds, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl combine all wet ingredients: bananas, egg whites, almond milk, peanut butter, honey, liquid stevia, and vanilla.
- Slowly pour and stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until everything is well mixed, then gently stir in the carob chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8 x 5 in. or 8 x 8 in. baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes; remove from oven and cool for 15-20 minutes.**
- Cut into 8 squares and enjoy.
**A cake tester may not come out completely clean because of the melted carob chips. I’ve found it’s best to wrap the squares in plastic wrap and store them in a Ziplock bag or storage container in the fridge. They’ll last for about one week. If you want to save some for later, wrap them up the same way and place them in the freezer. I froze a few last time and they tasted just fine after letting them thaw.
- Other, Snacks