Fitness may be a priority for you, but your husband, boyfriend, or partner might be another story. If you wish your better half's daily routine included more exercise, whether it's to relieve stress, drop a few pounds, or spend more time together, it's safe to say that nagging, bribing, and insulting are surefire ways to get your partner to shun sweating it out. If your goal for the New Year is to get your special someone involved in your healthy lifestyle choices, then it's time to employ a tactic that will actually get your SO pumped up. Check out these fresh ideas that will get you running, lifting, or cycling side by side.
- Work the money angle: Mention that the gym you want to go to offers huge deals if you join with a friend. Who doesn't jump at the opportunity to save a little moolah?
- Speak the language: If saving dough isn't exciting enough, lure your significant other with talk about air-conditioning, deals on massages, and huge TVs to watch sports and/or The Food Network.
- Make it about the dog: If you have a four-legged friend, mention that you went to the vet and your doc is really concerned about recent weight gain leading to a doggie heart attack. That'll pull on the old heart strings a little and certainly inspire regular walks or runs with Fido, but really, Fido will be walking or running your hubby (wink).
- Surprise! You're exercising: There's no backing down if you casually sign the two of you up for a partner yoga retreat, salsa dance class, or dodgeball team.
- Throw a compliment: Come home from the gym all upset and say, "I really wish you were with me to spot me on the machines, because you're so patient and strong. I'd much rather have you help me than one of the random muscly trainers at the gym. Could you meet me after work tomorrow?" Flattery can work wonders, and maybe once your SO shows up, he or she will do a few sets and like it so much that you'll have yourself a permanent spotter and gym buddy.
- Plan a romantic (fitness) date: Do something active together that's fun so it doesn't seem like exercise. Go hiking, play tennis, go swimming in a nearby lake, or plan a weekend surfing trip. Try to do a fun physical activity together at least once a week.
- Involve some sweet gear or gadgets: You may have to drop some cash on a GPS that tracks mileage on hiking routes, a heart rate monitor, a new armband to listen to tunes while working out, a CamelBak to stay hydrated, or some new fitness clothes.
- Give a fitness-related gift: Treat your fave person to a session with a personal trainer, a subscription to a health mag, or golf or tennis lessons. Isn't the gift of health the best gift of all?
- Schedule the annual exam: You can preach your health concerns till you're blue in the face, but when a statement like "your high blood pressure and extra weight are putting you at risk for an early death" comes from a trusted doctor, it's a much more effective kick in the butt.
- If all else fails, turn on the tears: Telling your other half about your unending love and wanting to live a long life together is sure to be emotional for you both and is bound to inspire a jump on the healthy boat. Use this one as a last resort.
What's your technique?