If you haven't heard the news, the stuff inside hot dogs is super scary. In fact, the World Health Organization recently deemed them just as carcinogenic as tobacco, asbestos, and alcohol. The Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine likewise suggests they're chock-full of cancer-causing compounds (nitrates and nitrites, heme iron, and heterocyclic amines, which are created when meat is charred). Plus, they're loaded with artery-clogging saturated fat, cholesterol, and salt.
So what's a dog-lover to do? Of course, there are plenty of yummy meatless hot dogs to stuff your bun with, but if you really want to go full-fledged veg, we've got a delicious idea: hot and juicy zucchini dogs! Hot out of the oven and loaded with your choice condiments, these dogs explode with flavor.
When shopping, look for small- to medium-size zucchini. Also, we recommend splurging on organic zucchini. Not only are they free of harmful chemicals, they taste better too.
Keep in mind that they shrink about 20 percent when roasted, and you'll want the final squash "dogs" to be about the size of a hot dog or sausage.
These dogs are such a snap to prepare, you almost don't even need a recipe. But, of course, we got you covered below. We promise you'll be making these all Spring and Summer long.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 hot dog buns (we suggest whole wheat)
- Your choice condiments (we love relish, mustard, ketchup, hot sauce, and mayo)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wash and pat dry zucchini and trim ends. Using a pastry brush or a clean paper towel, coat each squash with coconut oil. Place in a Pyrex baking dish.
- Roast for 20 minutes, or until slightly shriveled and browned, turning once.
- Let cool about 5 minutes before eating. Enjoy with your favorite hot dog buns and condiments.
- Main Dishes
- 4 servings