Sweet potatoes and avocado might not seem like a natural fit at first glance, but let me assure you: it doesn't get much better than this Paleo-friendly appetizer. Thinly sliced sweet potatoes are baked into the perfect thin crisp, then taken for a dip in spicy guacamole full of minced chili and crispy bacon. If you're vegan, vegetarian, or looking to cut back on fat, this easy appetizer can still be a crowd-pleaser at your next BBQ; simply sub in veggie bacon, or eliminate the strips all together.
- For the crisps:
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
Cumin, paprika, and sea salt to taste
- For the guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
2 strips bacon, diced and fried
1 serrano chili, seeds removed and minced
1/2 roma tomato, seeds removed and chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Using two baking sheets, toss the sweet potato slices with the oil, cumin, paprika, and sea salt.
- Spread the slices evenly over the trays, and bake for 10 minutes. Flip them over, and cook for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- While the crisps are baking, cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop the meat out from the peels and roughly mash with a fork. Add the bacon, chili, tomato, and lime juice, and gently mix in.
- Serve the guacamole in a bowl surrounded by the sweet potato crisps, and enjoy!
Source: Calorie Count
- North American
- 6 servings
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving