Give your cold-cut sandwich routine a rest and opt for this creative lunch instead. These fresh, raw, and fast wraps feature a unique filling: ground walnuts, seasoned with tamari (a Japanese soy sauce that contains little to no wheat), cumin, and other spices and topped with your favorite salsa. The result is a surprisingly meaty-tasting meal that is completely animal-free and chock-full of nutrients like healthy fats, iron, and vitamins A, C, E, and K.
The wrap is from celebrity nutritionist Kimberly Snyder's cookbook The Beauty Detox Foods and is a favorite of actress Drew Barrymore for helping her stay on track after having daughter Olive. I'll admit, I was skeptical about ground walnuts as a main meal but was pleasantly surprised by this wrap. It's delicious and filling, and the good-for-you ingredients really make you feel like you're ready to take on your afternoon.
If you are gluten-free, look for a tamari that contains no wheat. If you aren't, you can also substitute tamari with low-sodium soy sauce. If you don't have a food processor, use a blender and blend the walnuts in batches.
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari
- 6 large collard green leaves, stems removed and 2 inches trimmed from bottom of leaf
- Process walnuts in bowl of food processor until coarsely ground. Combine walnuts in medium bowl with cumin and next three ingredients. Stir in tamari; set aside.
- Place trimmed collard leaf, dark side facing down, on cutting board. Spoon 1/4 to 1/2 cup walnut mixture in middle of leaf; top with 1 tablespoon salsa. Roll leaf, burrito style, folding one long side of leaf over filling toward center. Fold short ends over filling, then remaining long side of leaf. Place filled leaf, cut sides down, on cutting board; slice diagonally into two pieces. Repeat process with remaining leaves and filling.
- Serve with additional salsa, if desired.
See nutritional info per wrap below.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- North American
- 6 wraps
- Total Time
- 10 minutes
- Calories per serving