It's the perfect time to give the body a clean slate, but detox mode isn't defined by a diet of lemons and maple syrup. Candice Kumai of Top Chef fame began developing this recipe on her search for a healthier version of fat-laden coleslaw. What she ended up creating was a detox and diuretic salad that stands strong on its own. Apples marry with the dynamic duo of red and Savoy cabbage, combining for a fiber-filled meal that aids in digestion. The addition of fennel seeds adds to the fiber factor, plus a kick of cayenne boosts your metabolism.
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage
- 1/2 head red cabbage
- 1 Fuji apple
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, thinly slice the cabbage, apple, and red onion to resemble extremely fine confetti; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the walnuts and raisins. Toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Top the salad with the dressing. Using salad tongs, mix until evenly dressed.
- Vegetables, Salads, Main Dishes
- North American
- 4 servings
- Total Time
- 20 minutes
- Calories per serving