One of the gems in my neighborhood is a small Italian spot that always has a mob of people waiting outside. While I went the first time for the pizza, I've kept coming back for this salad. Unlike the thrown-together greens of standard Italian spots, this kale and little gems salad stands strong on its own.
Two types of lettuce provide the perfect balance of hydration, nutrients, and a contrast in texture, while avocado and the chewy whole grain farro (which we like to think of as the new quinoa) help bulk things up. Lower in calories and higher in fiber than brown rice or quinoa, farro is a satisfying addition to any bowl of standard greens. Detoxifying sliced radishes add a pop of color, flavor, and crunch, and everything is tied together perfectly thanks to a thick, creamy, and tangy green goddess dressing.
If you can't head to Ragazza for this amazing salad, try this copycat recipe at home for lunch or dinner tonight. If you're having a healthy dinner party, I highly suggest doubling or tripling the salad recipe for a satisfying side. If you're in need of some extra protein, add some grilled chicken or white beans to the mix.
I've yet to find a light green goddess dressing that compares to Ellie Krieger's recipe. Ellie's is the dressing I used here, and I highly recommend you follow suit — and enjoy the leftovers all week long.
- For salad:
- 1/2 cup farro
- 2 heads little gems, sliced thin
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, sliced thin
- 4 radishes, sliced thin
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- For green goddess dressing:
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 scallion (white and green parts), coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Cook the farro according to the package's instructions. It will take about 30 minutes when cooked on the stovetop.
- Slice up the little gems, kale, radish, and avocado, and arrange it all as you please. Either toss together or layer (as pictured), and plate.
- Combine all your dressing ingredients together in a blender, and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add your farro to the salad, and add 2 tablespoons of the green goddess dressing.
- Enjoy immediately!
Source: Calorie Count
For dressing (two tablespoons):
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- North American
- 2 servings
- Total Time
- 40 minutes
- Calories per serving
- 298 (includes 2 tablespoons of dressing)