Hearty, healthy, and full of roasted vegetables, this soup may just be the perfect Fall dish. And given the amount of nutrients a single bowl contains — including a hefty dose of fiber and protein — you might find yourself eating it straight into Spring. The beans give the dish a hearty feel, and the light tomato broth keeps you from feeling too weighed down. We especially love the earthy flavors the roasted vegetables give the dish and the hit of metabolism-spice that comes from the paprika and crushed red pepper. Whether it's for your next gathering or after an intense session at the gym, this soup is bound to become a regular part of your dinner rotation.
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
4 garlic cloves, roasted and smashed
2 cups pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 16-ounce box organic vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- For the garnish (optional):
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, leeks, or corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Combine the first 11 ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and lightly toss together.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and spread the tossed ingredients evenly across the pan; roast for 15 minutes or until just barely tender and lightly caramelized. When done, smash the roasted garlic between two spoons.
- While the ingredients are roasting in the oven, add the remaining ingredients to a medium-sized stockpot and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the roasted vegetables and smashed garlic to the stockpot and simmer for an additional 20 minutes to blend all the flavors; stir occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves and ladle into your favorite soup bowl, and garnish with sliced scallions.
Source: Calorie Count
- Soups/Stews, Bean
- North American
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving