Upon my first bite of this layered breakfast casserole, I knew I had met my slow-cooker match. Paleo-friendly, free of grains, and low in carbs, a slice of this hearty breakfast will energize you with its high protein content and keep you full until lunchtime rolls around.
Take 20 minutes for prep the night before, set your slow cooker to low while you sleep, and wake up to the smell of eggs and bacon cooking in the kitchen. While it's a delicious make-ahead breakfast you can enjoy all week, it also feels special enough to bring to a Fall brunch. Everyone will be asking for this recipe, so just be sure to leave some leftovers at home.
- Softened ghee, for greasing the slow cooker
- 1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 6 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound white sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 16 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Green onions, for garnish
- Grease a slow-cooker insert well with palm shortening or softened ghee.
- Cook the sausage, bacon, and onion in a skillet over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes, until the sausage is browned and the onion is softened. Drain off the excess fat.
- Place the shredded sweet potatoes in the slow cooker, and press them down slightly.
- Add the meat and onion mixture and the bell peppers to the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milks, salt, mustard, and pepper. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Source: Calorie Count
- 10 servings
- Calories per serving