Have you been struggling to lose weight and to fight off your cravings? Sometimes we get so busy, we don't even think about what we're putting in our bodies, which can often lead to weight gain. "Trying to lose weight can be very difficult in this frenetic world we live in," said meditation coach Lynne Goldberg.
We recently asked Lynne about the importance of meditation for weight loss — we learned about how getting your brain on board with your weight-loss goals takes a bit more attention than just saying "I want to lose weight." But don't worry, it's easy to get started! And even better news: you can overcome your food struggles. Here's how.
Meditate First Thing in the Morning
Starting each day with a mindful meditation practice can help you set an intention for your day so you're more aware of your goals. "Mindfulness as a practice is something we do daily as a way to be more present, to bring more calm into our lives," said Lynne.
Meditate Before Each Meal
As you sit down to eat your meals and snacks throughout your day, be more aware of when, what, and how you're eating. Have you ever inhaled a meal without thinking about it, because you were too busy to pause and just take time to eat? We often eat on the go, at our desks, or while doing something else (like streaming TV!). "We might be trying to make dinner for the family and, without even paying attention, wolf down half the meal before we even sit down," said Lynne.
Each time you eat, practice mindful eating. Pause to meditate for a moment before you take a bite. Lynne says it's "a way to be more present," and a great exercise to train your mind.
How to Start Your Morning Practice
If you've never meditated before, it can be a bit intimidating. Some suggestions we have:
- These meditation tips for beginners will help you start any kind of meditation practice.
- Find a guided meditation program, like the ones on meditation apps (many of which are free!); these will help you learn how to meditate quickly with a coach guiding you through the process.
- Using a specific eating or weight-loss program within an app or guided meditation can help you get started as well. Lynne's app, OMG. I Can Meditate!, has a specific eating meditation. In this case, Lynne's voice and words will coach you through your practice and help set you up for success.
- Each morning when you start your basic meditation, set an intention for yourself and remind yourself of your goal. Why are you trying to lose weight? What is important to you? Reflecting on these thoughts will help you better execute your mindful eating throughout the day.
How to Eat Mindfully
Not sure how to start mindful eating? Here are Lynne's tips:
- Before you sit down to eat your food, bring your mind and your body into the same place. So often our body might be at the dinner table but our mind is still at the office. So rather than eating in front of the television or while texting, notice what you are about to eat.
- Pay attention to how your body feels. Are you eating because you are hungry, or maybe because it's dinner time?
- You can notice the size of your portion. Often we finish what's in front of us just because it's on our plate.
- Eat slowly and savor your food. Not only will you enjoy it more, but it will also be easier to tell if you are full.
Product Credit: Dear Bowie robe