My ultimate comfort food is pizza, but when I'm trying to cut back on gluten and treat my food as fuel, it's hard to rationalize ordering a classic pizza pie for dinner. After a few trials, I have finally come up with gluten-free and veggie-filled pizza crust that satisfies my cravings. Luckily, it stars one of the healthiest tubers out there: the mighty sweet potato.
Once I took my first bite, I knew this was the recipe I had been dreaming of. The high-protein, vitamin-A-rich crust keeps a nice crunch on the outside and tastes like an extrafluffy mashed potato in the center. Even better, half of this pie offers over 20 percent of recommended fiber for the day, so unlike your standard neighborhood slice, this pizza will keep you full and satisfied hours later.
I kept things simple and topped this pizza with fresh grape tomatoes, basil, and red pepper flakes, but feel free to get more creative with your toppings.
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes (enough to yield 1 cup of mashed sweet potatoes)
1 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
Toppings of your choice (grape tomatoes and basil, pictured)
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF degrees, and set a large pot of water to boil.
- Peel and cut your sweet potatoes into quarters. Add potatoes to boiling water, turn down to simmer, and boil them for about 20 minutes or until a knife easily pierces the flesh.
- Drain potatoes from the water, and mash well in a large bowl.
- Add one cup of your sweet potato mash, almond flour, baking soda, Italian seasoning, and salt to a large bowl. Knead well together with your hands until the mixture resembles a ball of orange pizza dough.
- Line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper, and press out the dough to a large circle. The dough should be about a 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges of the dough are slightly browned.
- Remove your pizza from the oven, add the sauce, cheese, and preferred toppings, and broil for three to five minutes until cheese is melted.
- Slice up, and enjoy immediately!
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes, Pizza
- North American
- Serves two
- Calories per serving