Breakfast tacos just seem synonymous with the weekends, but this recipe from The Love & Lemons Cookbook by Jeanine Donofrio may make you rethink your morning routine. The original recipe calls for scrambling the eggs and the veg together, although as you can see from my photo, it's perfectly acceptable to cook them separately so you can control what goes into your taco. The tomatillo salsa is more of a guacamole, and it shouldn't be missed! However, if you're running low on time, some Tapatío or a few thinly sliced jalapeño peppers will get 'er done.
There are over four hundred recipes on our blog, and yet I somehow have yet to post the breakfast tacos that I make nearly every day. Breakfast tacos from a restaurant (or, more likely, from a food truck) can sometimes be super greasy. Mine aren’t. I like to think of them as a well-balanced meal: a little protein from the eggs, a green vegetable, some good fat from the avocado, and a spicy kick from the salsa.
*Editor's note: I turned the tomatillo salsa into a tomatillo guacamole, but if you want it to have a salsa-like consistency, consider blending the batch in a blender or food processor until smooth or mostly smooth. I also warmed the tortillas so they folded up easily and had a slightly crisp exterior.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) packed baby spinach
- 4 tortillas, corn or flour
- 1 small avocado, cut into 4 slices
- Creamy tomatillo salsa*
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Pour the eggs into the pan. Quickly add a few pinches of salt and pepper, then add the scallions and spinach. Use a silicone spatula to scrape the edges of the pan and gently fold the eggs over the scallions and spinach. Continue to fold until the eggs are scrambled and the spinach is wilted.
- Divide the scrambled eggs among 4 tortillas. On top of each taco, place one slice of avocado, and a spoonful of tomatillo salsa.
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- 2 servings