A great grilled cheese sandwich stands alone, but sometimes a side dish or a dip can make it even more delicious by adding an acidic contrast to the creamy cheese. If you're wondering what else to serve alongside your next grilled cheese, try one of these dips or side dishes.
- Soup: Try pairing your toastie with tomato, black bean, pureed lentil, or other creamy soups.
- Salad dressing: Balsamic vinaigrette, dijon vinaigrette, or ranch salad dressings can complement melted cheese and bread.
- Sauces: When making a grilled sandwich out of Italian breads and cheeses, serve it alongside marinara sauce for a pizza-like rendition.
- Condiments: Condiments like ketchup and mustard never hurt. A grilled cheese, after all, is still a sandwich!
- Pickled vegetables: Cheese is heavy, but pickles will help cut through the grease. There's always the classic cucumber pickle, coleslaw, pickled jalapeños, or even kimchi.
- Chutney or jam: Sometimes a grilled cheese calls for something a little sweet like a mango chutney or a fig jam.