As soon as the holiday season arrives, my first stop is Trader Joe's for a box of the Candy Cane Joe-Joe's, which are essentially Double Stuf Oreos with pieces of crushed peppermint candy inside the cream filling. Given the insanely addictive quality of these cookies, I knew this year I had to incorporate them into a holiday gift.
Easy to make and beautiful to bestow, these snappy chocolate clusters are packed with crushed Candy Cane Joe-Joe's, then sprinkled with colorful peppermint pieces. I used a high-quality dark chocolate, but if tempering seems too difficult or too tedious, these candies can be made using hard chocolate shell too.
To package these clusters for the holidays, simply wrap up six in a cellophane bag, tie it with festive ribbon, and encourage your gift recipient to eat these cooling clusters frozen.
- 2 pounds dark chocolate, tempered (requires 2 hours), or Dolci-Frutta hard chocolate shell, melted
1 pound (1 box) chocolate peppermint sandwich cookies (such as Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe-Joe's), crushed
20 peppermint candies, crushed (about 1/4 cup)
- Line two sheet trays with parchment paper or Silpat nonstick baking mats.
- Fold crushed cookies into tempered chocolate until they are fully immersed.
- Using two spoons, quickly scoop 1-1/2 to 2-inch clusters and place them on lined sheet trays. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy over clusters from a high distance to evenly distribute. Allow clusters to fully set up before eating, about 4 hours. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Desserts, Chocolate
- North American
- Makes approximately 24 clusters