How to Find the Best Dress For Your Body Type
It can be hard to heed general fashion advice — we get it. A tip for someone over 6'0" simply won't work for someone under 5'4" (and vice versa).
That's why it's important to consider one often overlooked thing while you're out shopping: your body type, especially when it comes to dresses. Sure, a tailor can easily solve major fitting and length issues, but if you're armed with the knowledge of exactly what will flatter your figure, you're going to feel much more confident browsing the racks.
With that in mind, we reached out to New York City-based Dominican fashion designer Cenia Paredes, whose line, Cenia, caters to women of all shapes and sizes, for some expert recommendations everyone can use. Ahead, find general tips to remember this season as you stock up on dresses, then keep reading to find your body type and the exact silhouettes that will complement it the most.
- Incorporate prints. "Geometrical prints are strong for the Fall. Florals [this time of year] tend to look more hand-painted, darker, and more moody."
- Wear details strategically. "Avoid a lot of details — drapings, ruffles, etc. — in the areas where you feel more pronounced."
- Try a maxi. "The narrow maxi with slits on the side is trending a lot right now. Wear with pumps, booties, or high boots."
- Wrap dresses are key. "They tend to look good on any body type. They are very flattering and tend to hide things that we like to hide, but, at the same time, they also flatter our best assets."
- Embrace your curves and find designers and brands that do, too. "I want to make the real woman look good in whatever body type she has. I really think about that when I am designing and creating my patterns. [The everyday woman is] equally beautiful, and I don't think she should feel neglected."