Anyone who has read, heard, or seen a fairy tale knows that stepmothers get a bad rap in our society. Often painted as being domineering and cruel, these women are certainly not given a fair shake. Stepmothers get the opportunity to love and care for children that are not their own, and so many of them should be celebrated. While many excel in this role, others are hindered by their signs and have a more difficult time getting acclimated to their new family dynamics.
There are some characteristics present in our astrological signs that predetermine our abilities, especially as stepmothers, and by knowing our weaknesses, we can all better address them and improve. Here are the best stepmoms, according to the zodiac, ranked from best to worst.
- Pisces (February 19-March 20) — It's been pretty well-established that Pisces rock the whole parenting thing. Their innate willingness to be flexible, appreciate creative outlets, and their deep sense of empathy help make this sign extraordinary. As a stepmom, Pisces has the added bonus that they're the least jealous sign, meaning they aren't fixated on a spouse's previous relationships, nor the relationship they have with their children.
- Taurus (April 20-May 20) — Taurus is a stable sign, one that plants itself in the earth. As charismatic as they are calm, Taureans make great stepmothers because they are able to be consistent in a potentially turbulent and challenging situation. This sign is deeply rooted in their family life, so as a stepmom, they embrace their new loved ones as if they were their own.
- Gemini (May 21-June 20) — It's that dual nature that makes the Gemini excel as a stepmom. While Geminis may have a tendency to be relaxed when it comes to discipline, as stepmoms, they're able to be a point of support to their new children. It can be hard as a stepmom to balance the desires of the spouse with being a good parent to all of the kids, but a Gemini uses their fun and compassionate instincts to help the whole house take life a little less seriously.
- Cancer (June 21-July 22) — The only problem with a Cancer stepmom is that they might love their new brood a little too much. This family-focused sign loves doing everything they can to keep their home together and working smoothly; after all, would you expect anything less from a sign whose animal literally wears their house wherever they go? Cancer is passionate about taking care of their home, and once they've welcomed in the new members of the family, everything should go swimmingly.
- Virgo (August 23-September 22) — Life can get pretty hectic in a blended family. Navigating schedules, individual wants and needs, and keeping everyone on point takes a very experienced hand. Virgos (those amazing planners) make great stepmothers for this reason. Beyond the organized aspect, Virgos use their ability to reason with children to get tasks done, like those pesky chores that no one ever wants to do.
- Libra (September 23-October 22) — With a Libra stepmom, there's no Cinderella in this household. Everyone gets the same number of chores and the same amount of time. Of course, this could potentially be problematic for some children who are extra needy. While this has the potential of coming off as cold, remember that Libra's ruling planet is Venus, ensuring that love and family will reign.
- Sagittarius (November 22-December 21) — Make no doubt about it, the Sagittarius stepmom can be a lot of fun. Not willing to take on the disciplinarian role, Sagittarius is much more likely to try to get everyone distracted in a heated moment than actually tell someone "no." However, as a stepmom, this could potentially be great, because children might appreciate having an adult in their life who listens to their concerns, free from repercussions.
- Aries (March 21-April 19) — Aries is one of those complex signs that could be fantastic or could be seriously worrisome as a stepmother. Ruled by the planet Mars, also known as the god of War, Aries will fight dearly for their loved ones. They are passionate, organized, head strong, and energetic. These are all great qualities for a stepmom. But beware of the other sides of Aries that might push forward, like jealousy, stubbornness, and arrogance.
- Scorpio (October 23-November 21) — Scorpio moms and stepmoms are incredibly adept at being a fighter for their children. They're the first to respond to a teacher's emails, they cheer the loudest at soccer games, and Lord help the person who comes between the Scorpio mama and her child. Scorpio stepmoms, unfortunately, also need to be aware of their rampant jealousy and desire to be confrontational. Being a stepmother is a unique place in a person's heart, and to be there is to accept that your spouse has loved before and loves their children deeply. This knowledge can be difficult for a lot of Scorpios.
- Aquarius (January 20-February 18) — Going with the flow is fantastic, but for a stepmother, this innate trait of Aquarius can potentially dominate the relationship with her stepchildren. Not known for showing emotion easily since they're too focused on having a good time and not wanting to make any big waves, it's important that Aquarian stepmom remembers to focus on the children ahead of her own needs. They should work on expressing their feelings and being willing to let someone else dictate what people do, even if they think it's boring.
- Capricorn (December 22-January 19) — Stoic, uncompromising, and capable are three words you might look for in a good accountant. For the Capricorn stepmom, these same traits can be kind of a bummer. It's not that they don't care, because on the contrary, Capricorn is a very loving sign who embraces family. As a stepmother, though, they need some time to open up and embrace this big life change. This might make a Capricorn come off as standoffish when really they're just guarding their hearts.
- Leo (July 23-August 22) — As a Leo myself, it pains me to say that Leos have a lot of traits that might challenge a stepmother. Overly playful, this sign has the unfortunate tendency to act like the children. Yes, they're fiercely loyal and would do anything for their loved ones, but they're also overly competitive. This trait seeps into their household, making every sign of love from their new spouse a competition between the children. If a Leo can set that part aside, their other more heartwarming characteristics will shine to make a great stepmom.