Ooey-gooey molten chocolate lava cake is one of the most indulgent desserts you can make — for your valentine or for yourself! But how do you make it healthy?
Some tips from the wizards at Tone It Up and Perfect Fit Protein: swap regular flour for coconut flour and protein powder and use dark chocolate — lots of dark chocolate. This gluten-free, dairy-free recipe uses natural ingredients for sweetness, like coconut sugar, orange juice, and dark chocolate chips. The tangy, sweet, rich combination of flavors makes this protein-packed dessert as decadent as it is good for you.
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (this recipe uses Perfect Fit Protein)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 egg
- Juice from 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir. Add in wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in orange zest.
- Spray ramekins with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in 3/4 of the batter. Make a small hole in the center and pour in chocolate chips. Pour in remaining batter to cover and smooth across the top. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Enjoy as is or with a drizzle dark chocolate sauce on top.
- Desserts, Cake
- North American
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes