Got some overripe bananas in your kitchen? They asked me to plead for their lives, not to be thrown away, and to be reincarnated as these amazing double chocolate protein muffins. So lusciously sweet with a soft, melt-in-your mouth texture, this recipe is every ripe banana's dream.
What makes them so healthy is that they're made without dairy, flax replaces the egg to increase the fiber, and there's unrefined organic coconut palm sugar instead of the bleached white sugar that's traditionally used in banana bread. For an extra bang of nutrition, it's made with whole-wheat flour and plant-based protein powder, so each muffin offers 5.5 grams of protein.
You could actually eat two of these chocolaty gems for breakfast smeared with a tablespoon of nut butter and a handful of berries, and you'd have a delicious meal that follows the perfect breakfast formula for weight loss. Because some mornings, chocolate is a necessity.
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
3 tablespoons water
3 ripe bananas
1/3 cup soy milk (I used Silk Light Vanilla)
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup organic coconut palm sugar (or organic sugar)
3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 scoops plant-based protein powder (I used Vanilla Vega Sport)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 muffin tins with 15 liners.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxmeal and water together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the soy milk, oil, vanilla, and coconut sugar.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, protein powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flaxmeal and water (flax egg) to the banana mixture until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in the large bowl and stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- North American
- 15 muffins
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving