On July 1, Growers Express announced that it's issuing a voluntary recall of packaged vegetable products sold under the Trader Joe's and Green Giant Fresh brand due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination. More specifically, TJ's Butternut Squash Spirals and Zucchini Spirals are being recalled, as well as a variety of cauliflower, sweet potato, and ramen bowls sold in retailers including Stop and Shop, Shaws, and Food Lion.
Affected states listed on the company's official statement are: Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, South Carolina, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, New York, Maryland, Alabama, Washington DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, and Wisconsin. The recalled veggies came from a Growers Express production facility in Biddeford, ME, and most of the affected products are labeled with a "best if used by" date of June 26 through June 29, 2019. No illnesses have been reported at this time.
Tom Byrne, president of Growers Express, said in a press release, "We self-reported the need for this recall to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and stopped production immediately after being notified of a single positive sample by the Massachusetts Department of Health." He continued on to say that Growers Express is "deep sanitizing" the facility and will run sanitation and safety tests before production continues.
Listeria is a bacteria that can cause listeriosis, an infection with symptoms that include diarrhea, fever, mental confusion, nausea, and severe headaches. According to the FDA, listeriosis can sometimes be fatal for young kids, elderly people, and those with weakened immune systems. It can also cause miscarriage and stillbirth in pregnant women. The listeria infection may show up a few days or months after eating contaminated food.
Recalled Growers Express Products
This recall does not include any Green Giant canned or frozen vegetable products, Growers Express said. Ahead, we've included a list of recalled products that affect multiple states, according to the most recent information on Growers Express' website. See the full list and product photos here:
- Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Crumbles "Fried Rice" Blend sold at Food Lion in South Carolina, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia
- Signature Farms Cauliflower Crumbles, Green Giant Fresh Cauliflower Sweet Potato Crumbles, Green Giant Fresh Ramen Bowl, and Green Giant Fresh Butternut Diced sold at Shaws in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rode Island, and Vermont
- Green Giant Fresh Zucchini Noodles sold at Stop and Shop in New York and Maryland
- Trader Joe's Butternut Squash Spirals sold at TJ's in Alabama, Connecticut, Washington DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee (Knoxville and Nashville only), Virginia, Vermont, and Wisconsin
- Trader Joe's Zucchini Spirals sold at TJ's in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee (Knoxville and Nashville only), Virginia (Glen Allen, Newport News, Virginia Beach, and Williamsburg only), and Wisconsin
A spokesperson from Growers Express told POPSUGAR that the affected items have been pulled from shelves. If any of the recalled products are currently in your home, the FDA and Growers Express say to throw them away.