You're so frustrated! You're hitting the gym regularly, you're eating right, and still you're not losing weight! Personal trainer Marcus Rice says, "There are a million ways to go astray when trying to lose unwanted weight and get more toned and sculpted. I've listed just 9 of them right here. Which ones do you think might be holding you back?"
- "Lacking a good plan": Eating right and exercising don't just happen by chance. You need to plan it out every week and choose a plan that's healthy and sustainable.
- "Too much program hopping": Choose a plan and stick with it for a few weeks to really give it a chance. Sometimes you may not see results right away.
- "Eating 'clean' but not aware of calories": Eating healthy is great, but overdoing it on the calories will make you gain.
- "Too many liquid calories": Soda, fresh-pressed juices, protein shakes, smoothies — they can add hundreds of calories to your day, so don't forget to track them.
- "Uncontrolled weekend eating and drinking": If you stay on track all week, then go overboard on the weekend, your weekly calorie intake is what you need to consider. Don't undo all the good work you've done Monday through Friday. Instead of being strict all week, you might do better allowing yourself a little treat every day, and that could prevent overeating on the weekend.
- "Not trying to develop muscle": Muscle mass speeds up your metabolism and helps you burn more calories. Incorporate strength training at least three times a week into your routine.
- "Not managing sleep and stress enough": A healthy diet and regular exercise plan won't mean anything if your cortisol levels are high from stress or lack of sleep. Make it a point to get at least seven hours a night, and do one thing that makes you happy each day to reduce stress.
- "Not controlling hunger well": If you eat tons of sugar and processed carbs, you're going to feel hunger. You can manage hunger by eating fiber-rich foods and healthy fats and by drinking tons of water. Here's a list of fiber-rich foods to incorporate into your diet — avocado is one of them!
- "Not avoiding your trigger foods": Don't make this harder on yourself! If there's a food you just can't say no to, do what you can to avoid it by getting it out of your house or avoiding restaurants that serve it.
Marcus adds, "The recipe for successful fat loss/toning doesn't have to be too complicated, but it isn't always easy:
- Be in a moderate calorie deficit
- Weight train 2-4x/week
- Stay active in ways you enjoy
- Get adequate protein
- Eat lots of veggies/fruits
- Stay hydrated
- Get 6-9 hours of sleep per night
- Be patient and take breaks when needed"
Losing weight can be a tricky journey, so if you're struggling, see which of these nine reasons may be holding you back and try to make a change by implementing the above eight tips. If you're been struggling for a while on your own, seek out the help of a dietitian or a fitness trainer to help you find success.