Spicy Quinoa Veggie Burger Recipe
You'll Never Buy Another Frozen Veggie Burger After Trying This Recipe
If you're trying to save on calories, fat, and cholesterol, then veggie burgers are the way to go. Since most of the ones you find in the freezer section tend to be pretty flavorless, whip up this recipe that will knock your veggie-burger-lovin' socks off.
Completely vegan and easier to make than you think, they're flavored with baked sweet potato, cumin, and fresh parsley. Just whip up the mixture, heat up the patties, and they're ready to serve to impress your vegetarian and meat-eating friends alike.
Sweet Potato, Chickpea, and Quinoa Veggie Burger
From Jenny Sugar, POPSUGAR Fitness
- 1 small sweet potato, baked
1/4 cup dry quinoa
1/4 cup dry barley
15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 fresh red peppers
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the sweet potato for 45-60 minutes or until soft.
- While the sweet potato is baking, cook the quinoa and barley in separate pots until soft, about 30-60 minutes (barley takes a little longer).
- Remove the stem and seeds from the red peppers. Cut the whole pepper in quarters and the half a pepper in half, and roast all six pieces in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the sweet potato is baked and cooled, combine garbanzo beans, sweet potato, parsley, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and pepper, flour, and one tablespoon oil in a food processor.
- Allow the grains to cool, and then in a separate bowl, mix the bean mixture with the quinoa and barley.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large pan on medium heat. Place heaping spoonfuls of the mixture onto the hot pan, and use the back of the spoon to pat them flat and form four-inch diameter patties. Brown both sides of each burger. Serve on a bun with one piece of the roasted pepper, sliced into thirds.
Nutritional information is for one patty served with a slice of roasted pepper.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes, BBQ
- North American
- 6 servings
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving