- This recipe makes 4 servings of chili. Eat 1/4 for dinner, save 1/4 for lunch on Day 4, and freeze the rest to keep eating clean after you complete the plan.
- Make 4 servings of brown rice; eat 3/4 cup tonight and refrigerate the rest for Day 4 lunch, Day 5 dinner, and Day 6 lunch.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 pound ground turkey (Vegetarian swap: 1 package tempeh, crumbled)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional for extra heat)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 4-ounce can green chilies
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (Vegetarian swap: veggie broth)
- 1/4 cup cubed avocado, a quarter of a medium avocado
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add turkey, breaking it up with a fork to crumble. Cook until browned on the outside, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, tomato paste, oregano, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper; stir to mix and allow the tomato paste to darken, about 30 seconds.
- Add butternut squash, green chilies, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until squash is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve 1 serving (1/4 of the chili) over 3/4 cup brown rice and top with avocado.
Protein: 34.2 g
Carbohydrate: 63.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 12.1 g
Total Sugars: 9.397 g
Total Fat: 15.9 g
Saturated Fat: 3.536 g
Sodium: 813.4 mg
- Main Dishes