If your garden is overflowing with zucchinis, try this decadent twist on the classic zucchini bread recipe. The cocoa and dried cranberries give it a sweet flavor, but the grated zucchini and banana (used in place of eggs) still help it qualify as a healthy dessert. Plus it's vegan so this bread is low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded raw zucchini (one medium)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Shred one medium zucchini in a food processor or with a hand grater. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices in a separate bowl, and set that aside.
- Mash the banana with the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Fold in the grated zucchini. Stir in the dry ingredients, and mix in the dried cranberries at the end.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased bread loaf pan, and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Side Dishes, Breads
- North American
Source: Calorie Count