You're psyched to enjoy the crisp, Autumn air, take some photos of the gorgeous, brightly colored foliage, and pick some fresh apples. But your wholesome experience wouldn't be complete without a sampling of the orchard's just-pressed cider and warm cider doughnuts.
If you don't eat dairy or eggs, though, you've probably been missing out on Fall's best doughnuts. Not anymore, because this recipe for baked cider doughnuts is made without butter, milk, or eggs.
Soft and full of warming spices, they're only 86 calories per doughnut. A regular fried doughnut rolled in cinnamon sugar will run you 250!
They're also sweetened with a drizzle of cinnamon-cider glaze instead of rolled in cinnamon sugar, so they're half the sugar as regular cider doughnuts — just 13.1 grams. These are a must-try Fall recipe!
If you don't own doughnut pans, you can make these in a muffin tin instead.
1 tablespoon flaxmeal
3 tablespoons water
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons organic powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease eight wells from two doughnut pans.
- Mix the flaxmeal and water together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the applesauce, cider, oil, and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Combine all the wet and dry ingredients and stir.
- Carefully divide the batter between the eight doughnut wells.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the doughnuts have puffed up and the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and after a few minutes, place the doughnuts on a cooling rack.
- While they're cooling, mix together the icing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once the doughnuts are completely cooled, drizzle with icing and enjoy!
- Desserts, Doughnuts
- North American
- 8 doughnuts
- Total Time
- 9 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving