Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup Recipe
A Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup For Days When You Need Something Light
Soup nourishes the body, especially when it's chock-full of metabolism-boosting, detoxifying nutrients like this creamy vegan broccoli soup. The recipe is part of the postdetox maintenance mode from the book 1 Pound a Day: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox and Plan For a Lifetime of Healthy Eating, and each of the soup's components add an important benefit. The calcium and vitamin C in broccoli, for example, help you burn more calories, while nutmeg and cayenne help boost your immunity, protect against disease, and increase your metabolism. The high fiber content makes this soup a good option when you want to detox; the garlic in the soup helps flush out toxins from your body as well. This tasty and creamy soup makes a hearty main when paired with whole-grain bread or a salad.
Creamy Nutmeg Broccoli Soup
Adapted from 1 Pound a Day
We made a few modifications from the recipe in the book: the original calls for unsalted vegetable broth (preferably made at home), but we used store-bought low-sodium vegetable broth for convenience. We also used four large broccoli stalks instead of eight and upped the spice quantity to one teaspoon of nutmeg instead of 1/2 teaspoon and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper instead of 1/8. Feel free to modify to your tastes as well.
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
4 large broccoli stalks, chopped (use both the stems and florets)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup scallions, chopped
1 or 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup rice milk
- Bring broth to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add broccoli and reduce heat. Cover and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions and garlic and cook until tender, stirring from time to time.
- Stir the scallions and garlic into the broth. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree until smooth in a blender or food processor. Return the puree to the pot.
- Combine the nutmeg and cayenne in a small bowl and stir in the rice milk. Gradually stir this mixture into the puree.
- Return the soup to medium heat and cook until heated through, stirring from time to time. Serve hot.
- North American
- 4 servings
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving