When the weather heats up, I tend to crave more and more plant-based recipes. And ever since Beyoncé adopted a vegan diet, I could not wait to get my hands on her favorite dishes. In the forward of The 22-Day Revolution ($28) by Beyoncé's chef Marco Borges, Bey not only explains how she was able to sustain this big shift in her diet but also specifically calls out this recipe: "I couldn't believe how much of our health we can control with food. And that I could still love food but this time it would love me back (like the walnut tacos you'll find in here, oh my!)." With the Beyoncé seal of approval, I decided to try them out for myself — and I'm so glad I did. I've played around with a number of vegan taco meat iterations, but this walnut-based version is a clear winner.
Beyond their spiced, smoky, and surprisingly meaty flavor, the combination of walnuts and avocado makes this a Mexican-inspired dish packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats that have also recently been linked to burning away belly fat. I enjoyed two tacos for a complete meal, but if you're concerned about keeping calorie counts in check, grab one taco and enjoy a salad on the side.
- 8 large romaine leaves
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- Dash of paprika
- Dash of garlic powder
- Dash of black pepper
- To garnish:
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley flakes
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Thoroughly wash and drain the lettuce and tomatoes in a colander or on a paper towel and set aside while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Combine all taco ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse several times until crumbly, making sure not to overblend.
- Spread the walnut taco meat on the romaine leaves in equal servings.
- Garnish the walnut taco meat with sliced avocado, tomatoes, parsley, ground pepper, sea salt, and lime juice.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- 8 tacos
- Calories per serving