57 Gratitude-Journal Prompts That Will Help You Find the Good Every Day
There's something about opening a new calendar that makes us want to feel our best. So this January, POPSUGAR is giving you everything you need to hit the reset button on your feel-good habits. Our challenge to you: do one *tiny new thing* each day for 24 days this month. You'll be amazed at the big difference small changes can make. To find more articles about resetting your wellness routine, click here.
It's easy to get caught up in the stressors of everyday life, but taking time out of each day to practice gratitude can benefit both your mental and physical health. Not sure where to start? Try gratitude journal prompts. Research suggests that practicing gratitude can lower stress levels, improve sleep, and strengthen your relationships. It's even been shown to lower levels of cellular inflammation.
If you're ready to try it for yourself, grab a gratitude journal (or any notebook you have on hand) and choose a few of the prompts below to fill out each day. We've even broken up the categories for you depending on where in your life you might need a little more gratitude — whether it's for the people around you, your environment, or life's daily pleasures. You might find that you really do feel happier and healthier when you make gratitude part of your daily routine.
Gratitude Journal Prompts
- What's something you're looking forward to?
- List five things that immediately make you smile.
- What cheers you up when you're feeling sad or having a bad day?
- What's your favorite hobby, and why does it bring you joy?
- What are 10 things you love about yourself? Describe how and why you're grateful for each. Did someone help you develop these qualities?
- What unique talent or ability do you possess?
- What is the accomplishment you're most proud of in your personal life?
- What is the accomplishment you're most proud of in your professional life?
- Describe your favorite smell.
- Describe your favorite taste.
- Describe your favorite sound.
- What's your favorite season and why?
- What's your favorite time of day and why?
- What's a guilty pleasure you're grateful for?
- What's the best thing about your current age?
- List five things you'll consciously stop to notice and appreciate tomorrow.
- What's a simple pleasure that made you happy today?
- What's one positive thing, big or small, that happened to you today?
- Name an act of kindness that someone did for you today.
- Name an act of kindness that you did for someone else today.
- What's your favorite part of your daily routine?
- What's your favorite thing about your morning routine?
- What's your favorite thing about your nighttime routine?
- What's your favorite thing about the current season?
- Name one luxury you enjoy on a daily basis.
- Name the family tradition you're most grateful for.
- Name a tradition with friends that you're grateful for.
- Who has forgiven you for a mistake you made and given you a second chance?
- Name at least one thing you're grateful for about each person in your family.
- Describe a favorite memory with your parent or parents.
- Describe a favorite memory with a sibling.
- Describe a favorite memory with a close friend.
- Name a person who shaped who you are today.
- Name a person you've never met who has inspired you.
Experiences and Activities
- What was the most difficult time in your life? Name five things that are better now than they were during that rough stretch.
- Describe a painful experience and how it ultimately made you a stronger person.
- Describe your most cherished memory.
- What is your favorite solitary activity and why?
- What is your favorite group activity and why?
- Think back on the last year. What positive changes in your life have occurred since one year ago?
- Name positive changes in your personality over the past five years.
- What positive things do you have in your life that you didn't have five years ago?
- As you get older, what things do you notice that bring you gratitude compared to when you were younger?
- Look around the room. What do you see that you're grateful for?
- Name five things you love about your home.
- Name five things you love about your neighborhood and/or town.
- What's your favorite way to enjoy nature?
- What's your favorite way to enjoy a city?
- What's your favorite place that you've traveled to?
- Describe a place that's special to you and why.
- What artist are you most grateful for?
- What musician are you most grateful for?
- What author are you most grateful for?
- Name a book you're grateful for and why.
- Name a movie you're grateful for and why.
- Name a song you're grateful for and why.
- What's a favorite quote that inspires you?